The village is situated on a hilltop, which rises approximately 300 metres above sea level. It was originally called Plancha.
The first written record documenting the existence of Chianche dates back to 1139. In the same year, the town of Avellino was besieged by Roger II. The Castle was probably built in the second half of the 11th century. Over the years the manor underwent several changes and was turned into a magnificent Renaissance residence. In this period the Castle was used as a residence by the lords who owned the castle. Over the succeeding centuries, many important noble families lived in the Castle such as the Caracciolos, the Sanseverinos, the Zunicas or the Pisanellis.
In 1593 the fief was bought by Giovanni Battista Manso, who was a friend of the famous Italian poet Torquato Tasso.
The castle remains include parts of the quadrangular Keep and two massive cylindrical angle towers.