The ruins of the Castle in Senerchia are situated on a hilltop overlooking the entire valley of Sele.
The medieval Castle was built during the Norman-Swabian domination.
Under the Aragonese dynasty the Castle was transformed into a noble residence. The village of Senerchia became a fief held by the Filangieri in 1496, subsequently it passed to the Carafa in 1507 and Antonio della Marra kept it in 1629. The Macedonio family became Princes in 1776 and ruled over Senerchia until the abolition of feudalism (1806).
The castle was severely damaged by several powerful earthquakes over the centuries.
The ruins of the Castle consist chiefly of a cylindrical Tower and curtain Walls.
VISITING IRPINIA CASTLES by Tina Rigione The first guidebook in English, interactive and multimedia, which takes you between the Castelli d'Irpinia, and not only, with a click or a tap: archaeological sites, city walls, towers, medieval villages, palaces and religious monuments, hundreds of original photos collected in photo galleries and video spots, interactive maps, 90 verification and learning tests for children and teenagers and adults, terminology glossary and references to historical figures, main typical products, important cultural events; direct links to the e-mail box to request information on availability and on tourist routes and / or to visit the historical sites; direct links to the website to access the pages in Italian, English, German and Japanese, direct links to social media Facebook, Twitter, Blogger; Back Stage and notes from the author. Apple ID: 1471103747 - ISBN: 9788888332284
What to do, see and visit in Avellino and in the province, in the beautiful Irpinia, at incredibly low prices?