Morra de Sanctis lies at an altitude more than 800 m. above sea level, at the foot of Mount Calvario in the midst of Sant'Angelo and Isca. Several archaeological findings testify about life in the area of today's Morra de Sanctis around 8th-6th century B.C.
In 1382 the hamlet and the Fortress, built during the Lombard domination, were plundered and besieged by German troops led by Duke Luigi di Andegavia. The Fortress was rebuilt by the Normans and gradually enlarged under Swabian domination. In the second half of the 14th century, Charles of Durazzo marched on the village of Morra de Sanctis with his mercenary army and launched an attack on the Castle which was severely damaged.
In the beginning of the 18th century, the Castle was reconstructed and turned into a noble residence by the Caracciolo family. Extensive works of restoration became essential after several events that heavily damaged its structure, such as the 1695 earthquake, the siege of the fortress, occupied by the French army in 1799 and finally the fire that destroyed its library in 1911.