The Castle is pleasantly situated on the hilltop overlooking the entire valley of Cervaro.
The fortress was built by the Normans around the 11th century. The first written record documenting the existence of Savignano dates back to 988: the Castle known as "castrum Sabiniarum" was donated by Pandolfo III and Landolfo VI, Princes of Benevento to the Lombard Count Greci Potone. The Castle passed to della Lande family as the Angevin dynasty ruled over Savignano and later, in 1445, to degli Spinelli family.
The Norman Castle is called Guevara, because its property was held by the Spanish noble family de Guevara who ruled over Savignano from the 18th century until the abolition of feudalism in 1806. Over the succeeding centuries, it was transformed into a noble residence.
After the earthquake of 1980 it was heavily damaged. The manor has been recently restored.