Altavilla Irpina: Bruno Tower

--------

HISTORICAL NOTES | TOURIST INFORMATION

Historical notes

Built in Norman times, the Castle was turned into an impressive palace on initiative of Bartolomeo I de Capua. The construction work on Altavilla Castle began in 1289 and was completed by the middle of the 15th century.

Unfortunately, only the Tower called Bruno has survived to the present day.

The three story Tower section, the foundation, a chapel and a double fight staircase that leads up to the top floor, are all that remain of the palace.

top

Tourist information

 

THE SULFUR MINES

 

In 1866, Ferdinando Capone of Altavilla and di Marzo of Tufo, discovered sulfur deposits in Altavilla Irpina. On the one hand, in Altavilla the sulfur extraction represented an occasion of economic growth; on the other hand it was the unfortunate cause of tragedy and death. Work in the mine was brutal. It was not just men who worked in mines but women and children too. A large number of miners died a slow death from silicosis (Silicosis is a respiratory disease caused by breathing in (inhaling) silica dust.)

At the end of the 20th century the sector was hit by an irreversible crisis which brought about the closure of all production activities and the traumatic loss of an enormous patrimony. So many people left their homeland to live in other countries, in particular in Belgium, where they worked in the coal mines.

top

-

Would you like to visit Altavilla Irpina?

Please sign up for our mailing list.




 

 

 

 

Discovery

Irpinia Castles

Castle Towers

Castle Ruins

Middle Ages Villages

Villages

Archaeological Sites

Museums

Religious Monuments

Palaces

 

Language

Italian

English

German

Japanese

 

Fun & Cult

Have fun with us

Gallery

Keep in Touch

Complete List

Google Map

Mailing List

Festivals

Social

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Blog

Youtube 1st Channel

Youtube 2nd Channel

Other

Campania

Old Festivals

Links

  • © Since 2009 by Tina Rigione. All rights reserved.
  • Promotion | Consulting | Events | New Ideas
  • The Castelli d'Irpinia-Irpinia Castles-Schlösser von Irpinien words, the Castelli d'Irpinia logo and all marks related to Castelli d'Irpinia are protected by trade marks and/or copyright of Tina Rigione. No use for commercial purposes may be made of such marks and without the owner's prior written permission. Use of www.castellidirpinia.com signifies your agreement to the Privacy Policy, to the Copyright for texts-pictures-movies-translations and to the law of Trade Marks.
  • PATRONAGE | COLLABORATION | NOTES | SPONSOR | PRIVACY | LEGAL NOTES | MAILING LIST