Episcopal Castle, Sant'Andrea di Conza

--------

HISTORICAL NOTES | TOURIST INFORMATION

Historical notes

Between the end of the 13th century and the beginning of the 14th century the village of Sant'Andrea di Conza was held by the Poncellys, a French family who built a fortress to protect the inhabitants of the area.

The village passed successively to the del Balzo family and in the 15th century to the Gesualdos.

The village of Sant'Andrea di Conza came under the bishop's jurisdiction, the bishop's seat was transferred from Conza to the Castle (now Episcopal Castle) in the 16th century.

Episcopal Castle was restored in 1980. You can see two cylindrical Towers: the first one next to the main entrance; the second one overlooks the garden and offers stunning panoramic views of Sant'Andrea di Conza.

Nowadays it is the seat of the City Hall offices.

top

Tourist Information
  • Attractions in Sant'Andrea di Conza
  • The first historical mention of the village was in the year 1161 in a document, which described the donation of an estate from Earl Gionata di Balvano to Sant'Andrea Church.

    In 1700 Caracciolo built a Seminary. After 1494, the village grew up around the Mother Church. The Franciscan monastery was founded in 1600. Only a few ruins now remain to mark its site (the Franciscan monastery was bombed during the Second World War).

  • "S. Michele" Church
  • The Seminary
  • "San Domenico" Mother Church
  • "Purgatorio" Church
  • "Madonna Incoronata" Church

 

  • Local products

     

    Red pepper and honey

     

  • Local food & drink
  • Ristorante L'Incanto - Sant'Andrea
  • Ristorante Pizzeria Del Sole - Sant'Andrea

 

  • Accommodation
  • The Seminary

 

top

Religious Tourism

Come to Irpinia. It's beautiful.

The Sanctuary of "SS. Philomena", Mugnano del Cardinale

The Sanctuary of Carpignano, Grottaminarda

The Sanctuary of "Maria SS. di Montevergine", Mercogliano

top

-

Would you like to visit Episcopal Castle in Sant'Andrea di Conza?

Contact us.






WORLD OFFICE DI FRANCESCO CUCCINIELLO

CORSO UMBERTO I, 101/103 - AVELLINO

TEL. +39.0825.71304

 

 

 

Discovery

Irpinia Castles

Castle Towers

Castle Ruins

Middle Ages Villages

Villages

Archaeological Sites

Museums

Religious Monuments

Palaces

 

Language

Italian

English

German

Japanese

 

Fun & Cult

Have fun with us

Gallery

Keep in Touch

Complete List

Google Map

Mailing List

Festivals

Social

Facebook

Twitter

Google Plus

Blog

Youtube 1st Channel

Youtube 2nd Channel

Other

Campania

Old Festivals

Links

  • © Since 2009 by Tina Rigione. All rights reserved.
  • Promotion | Consulting | Events | New Ideas
  • The Castelli d'Irpinia-Irpinia Castles-Schlösser von Irpinien words, the Castelli d'Irpinia logo and all marks related to Castelli d'Irpinia are protected by trade marks and/or copyright of Tina Rigione. No use for commercial purposes may be made of such marks and without the owner's prior written permission. Use of www.castellidirpinia.com signifies your agreement to the Privacy Policy, to the Copyright for texts-pictures-movies-translations and to the law of Trade Marks.
  • PATRONAGE | COLLABORATION | NOTES | SPONSOR | PRIVACY | LEGAL NOTES | MAILING LIST