of Andretta is located in the
Ofanto Valley and rises to an
altitude of 840 metres above
Andretta (gets its name from
a Greek word "Andreikta") was first
mentioned in a document of
1124. Over the years,
the fief has been the property of
several aristocratic families
among them the "Zurolos"
(1347-1426), the "Caracciolos"
(1426-1623) and the "Imperiales"
fortress stood at the highest
point of the village and was
built by the Normans. Nothing now
remains of the Norman fortress.
In the 16th
century, an aristocratic
residence was built on the site
of the Norman fortress. Following
several years of abandonment, the
ruins of the residence were later
incorporated into the Mother